All around you, if you pay close attention, you will see metal architecture. It is used for gutter systems, to cover roofs, and is undeniably growing in popularity. In both residential and commercial buildings, applications involving metal wall panels are being installed.
Before you can make the choice of whether or not to use metal wall panels in your home or business, you must understand what they are, the differences between each type, and how to use them. This way, whether or not your project and a specific building design go hand-in-hand can be better determined.
Metal Wall Panels – Their Uses
In commercial construction, steel is one of the most popular metals used. However, a variety of materials can comprise today’s wall panels including the following:
- Stainless steel
These are used in settings that involve industrial, residential, and commercial applications. Not sure where you’ve seen metal wall panels? Everywhere you look, you can find them. Here are some examples:
- Retail stores
- Recreation facilities
- Manufacturing facilities
- Industrial plants
- Restaurants or hotels
- Condominiums and homes
Metal Wall Panel Types
You can make metal wall panels from all kinds of materials but, where metal construction is concerned, there are three types of panels most common. Depending on the kind of environment surrounding it, the kind of structure you’re building, and its unique properties, some are more applicable than others in certain situations. The three kinds of metal wall panels are as follows:
- Insulated – These have an insulating foam center. They are quick to install, provide superior energy efficient insulation, and come in numerous finishes, profiles, widths, and colors.
- Metal composite material – Depending on what’s required, these can be joined in different shapes, as well as curved or bent. They keep a building’s curb appeal because, for years, they retain their shine and beauty.
- Single skin – In almost any environment and weather condition, these can be installed. They are 100% recyclable, easy to install, and lightweight.
What Makes Metal Wall Panels So Popular?
Rather than typical materials like wood, stone, brick, or vinyl, why would someone go with metal? There are definite advantages to the use of metal wall panels.
- They are eco-friendly and environmentally sustainable.
- They provide an excellent rain screen, and they’re fireproof.
- Where maintenance and installation are concerned, they offer lower costs.
- Under normal wear and tear, structures made from metals are exceptionally durable.
- For both exterior and interior application on residential or commercial buildings, the beautiful appearance of metal wall panels is undeniably visually appealing.
- … and more
Let it not be said that we didn’t offer both pros and cons when it came to this topic. Some possible drawbacks involved with metal wall panels are as follows:
- A negative interaction may occur if different metal types are combined.
- Shadowing can be caused if a stiffener is installed to reduce oil canning (see below).
- In flat areas of a metal panel, you may notice warping or weaving referred to as oil canning.
- As metal panels are exposed to pollution and weather, a pitted appearance can be the result of the metal’s protective coating being attacked. This is purely aesthetic.